There are four major federal sources of funding for Tribal Healing to Wellness Courts:
Coordinated Tribal Assistance Solicitation (CTAS)
Coordinated Tribal Assistance Solicitations for FY 2017 are available here
FY 2017 Resources:
Webinar: CTAS FY 2017: Funding Opportunities for Healing to Wellness Courts
December 15, 2016
This webinar provides a brief overview of Healing to Wellness Court funding opportunities available within the FY 2017 Coordinated Tribal Assistance Solicitation (CTAS). This webinar focuses primarily on purpose areas 3 and 8, which can include funding for adult, family, and juvenile Healing to Wellness Courts. The webinar details the CTAS application process, updates from FY 2016, important considerations for drafting a Wellness Court narrative, general grant writing tips, and available technical assistance. Representatives from the Bureau of Justice Assistance and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention were available to answer questions.
FY 2017 CTAS RFP
The Department of Justice has opened their solicitations November 30, 2016, inviting applications for federal funding “to improve public safety and victim services in Tribal communities.” Applications are due February 28, 2017.
There are nine purpose areas.
1. Public Safety and Community Policing -- $23 million/~50 awards available
2. Comprehensive Tribal Justice Systems Strategic Planning -- $375,000/~5 awards available
3. Justice Systems, and Alcohol and Substance Abuse Program and Indian Alcohol and Substance Abuse Prevention Program -- $16.8 million/~20-30 awards available (This purpose area specifically cites “healing to wellness courts” among the tribal justice systems this grant is aimed towards developing, enhancing, and continuing.)
4. Corrections and Correctional Alternatives -- $7.5 million/~2-4 awards available
5. OVW – Violence Against Women Tribal Governments Program -- $32 million/~60 awards available
6. Victims of Crime (OVC—Children’s Justice Act Partnerships for Indian Communities) -- $4.5 million/~10 awards available
7. Victims of Crime (OVC—Comprehensive Tribal Victim Assistance Program) -- $13.5 million/~30 awards available
8. Juvenile Healing to Wellness Courts -- $2.1 million/~6 awards available (New purpose area this year, specific to Healing to Wellness Courts.)
9. Tribal Youth Program -- $4.2 million/~12 awards available
- Coordinated Tribal Assistance Solicitations for FY 2017 are available here
BJA's Drug Court Discretionary Grant Program
FY 2017 BJA Drug Court Discretionary Grant RFP is available here
FY 2017 RFP was released on December 20, 2016. Applications are due February 28, 2017.
Grants are available for Implementation ($400,000 for 36 months) and Enhancement ($400,000 for 36 months).
- FY 2017 BJA Drug Court Discretionary Grant RFP is available here
SAMHSA's Grants to Expand Substance Abuse Treatment Capacity in Family Treatment Drug Courts
FY 2017 SAMHSA Family Treatment Drug Court Grant RFP available here.
FY 2017 SAMSHA RFP was released on December 29, 2017. Applications are due March 3, 2017.
Anticipated award amounts up to $425,00/year for up to five years.
- FY 2017 SAMHSA Family Treatment Drug Court Grant RFP available here.
See Federal Funding Agencies to learn more